About Nel Hydrogen US:
Hydrogen… the most abundant element in the universe is your ticket to a rewarding future. Every day there are reports on how (produced by water electrolysis and renewable energy sources) it is displacing fossil fuels, reducing greenhouse gasses and helping to revitalize our planet.
Nel Hydrogen US is the global leader in on-site hydrogen generation, the largest electrolyzer manufacturer in the world. Armed with a full portfolio of water electrolyzers and hydrogen fueling station technologies, Nel Hydrogen US is leading the charge into the new green hydrogen economy.
If you are driven by personal initiative, loyalty, and commitment to your team and the ability to convert complex issues into simple solutions, then we want to talk to you. Help make the world a better place. Join a company that is on the cutting edge of new energy innovations, with an energized, progressive culture.
Provides overall leadership and direction for the company’s Regulatory Compliance and Third-Party Certifications on new and existing products. This Principal Engineer will ensure that required technical construction file documentation, self-declarations to EU directives, PED and ATEX certifications, and certifications from Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTL) to required standards are developed, obtained, and managed. The Principal Engineer is also responsible for interfacing with internal customers to assure product regulatory compliance during new design development and enhancements to existing designs.
- Interpret regulatory requirements in a product design and development environment to ensure the resultant products are safe, reliable, and code compliant.
- Advise design engineers on compliance options and impact of design decisions as it relates to standards the product must ultimately meet.
- Coordinate NRTL product testing including assessing and communicating all issues of noncompliance as they are identified during testing.
- Maintain all current technical file documentation and assisting in all NRTL follow-up audits as they relate to product compliance and product certification.
- Propose, coordinate, and direct tests to verify product compliance, safety, performance, quality, and robustness. Propose effective corrective actions, as necessary.
- Conduct and Document HAZOPs and Risk Assessments.
- Perform high level Hazardous Area Evaluations for Proposed Product Construction and Siting including experience with siting of industrial equipment in hazardous / process environments.
- Establish and deliver a cost-effective strategic plan for optimizing and enhancing system integrity while ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Develop both technical methods and administrative procedures/processes to ensure regulatory compliance in Nel’s product markets.
- Participate in or provide guidance to International Codes/Standards Committees (represent Company).
- Remain current on relevant standards to support product compliance testing for both new and existing products.
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Fifteen years related experience in Product Safety and Code Compliance; preferred experience with Hydrogen Generation, Fuel Cell, Fuel Gas Related Equipment, or Petrochemical industry
- Five or more years demonstrated experience and expertise in achieving product and project regulatory requirements relating to CE directives (ATEX, PED, EMC, MD, RoHS, WEEE, REACH); ICC codes, and standards ISO22734, IEC61010-1, ISO19880, NFPA 2 (Chapter 13), NFPA 55, UL508A, NFPA 79.
- Working knowledge of regulatory compliance processes involving regulatory bodies, product standards, product certifications and marking.
- Strong working knowledge of safety testing equipment and certifying agency techniques for the purpose of compliance testing.
- Ability to define problems, interpret data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of conceptual and practical problems.
- Function as a “team player” and work constructively and cooperatively with all departments in the best interests of the business.
- Excellent written and verbal communication needed for interactions with both internal and external customers
- Experience with or leading DFMEAs and/or PFMEAs is desirable. Experience with PHA Pro highly desirable.
- Must be self-motivated able to manage a variety of projects simultaneously and prioritize workflow.
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, accurate, and timely.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams) required.
- Attention to Detail/Accuracy
- Problem Solving Skills
- Critical Evaluation
- Relationship Management
- Ethical Practice
Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at a time.
The Company has a published Code of Conduct that all employees are expected to follow.
- Nel will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided.
- Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.